Hiccups along the way July 30, 2012 – Posted in: Mondays with Mona

True to my motto “let’s do this and see what happens” I calculated how many stitches I would have to cast on and pretty much realized right away that the 1.5 times the number would be WAY too big. I went down to 1.3 times the amount and got started.

To avoid that pesky flipping up of the border, I used 2.75 needles (in this case three sizes smaller than the working needles) and it turned out well. After 4″ I worked the first decrease row, all the while wondering if it still felt a bit big, then thinking “I want her to be able to wear it for a long time” and so I kept going. Until I checked my stash and realized that I don’t have enough yarn in that particular colour to actually finish the project. A neglect that is my own fault, but as you will see it turned out to my advantage.

See? I don’t know what was going on in my head there.

I took my WIP off the needles, laid it flat to see if my idea of size was ok – well, let’s just say what sounded good in my head turned out still too big. Since I had to start fresh anyways I was not too upset about this, and if you ever tried to design something you know that this hiccup is a small one and fairly normal – if not all the time. I’m not too pleased that I had to change the colour, but what I am going to use now is absolutely going to work with the neon pink Koigu, and I am convinced the outcome will be still just as imagined. I have decided on the size (yet again) and now that I have less stitches the little top seems to grow faster that before.

From greyish blue to grey.

Since this is meant to be A-line there are decreases to be worked. For this design I spaced them around the garment instead of doing them all where the side seams would be. This way you do not get the droopy tips at the sides – which are absolutely fine when you want them as a design feature, which in this case I do not. The first decrease row is worked, three more to go.

It doesn’t seem like much for this week, but a fair amount of thinking and calculating and doubting was involved. I could have been a bit further but I had to squeeze in a birthday sweater for a 3 year old boy. I am quite happy with the outcome and will post pictures as soon as I get them. Even though I have been taking pictures for my ravelry account since 2007 there are still times when I forget!

– Mona