Book recommendation: Knit for Health & Wellness – How to knit a flexible mind and more… June 6, 2017 – Posted in: Books
Somewhat irresponsibly, I am making this book recommendation without yet having read the book. 🙂 But yesterday I spent an hour watching Kristy Glass’s recent interview with the author and immediately ordered a copy from Amazon. Those of us who knit or crochet have always attested to the benefits – the meditative effect, the peace it brings, the community it creates, the creative outlet it provides – for many of us, knitting is a calm centre in the middle of our busy, sometimes stressful lives. We just know, intuitively, that it does us good. But did you know why? Betsan Corkhill has spent many years researching the benefits of knitting on our health and has even taken things further with an exploration of how knitting can be used therapeutically to help people coping with specific conditions.
I’m looking forward to digging into my copy when it arrives later today and I may write more here about what I learn but, in the meantime, find a description of the book below as well as Kristy Glass’s interview with Betsan. Grab your knitting and enjoy!
Betsan Corkhill?s book will transform the way you think about your health, wellness and knitting. It rises above other self-help books because it provides an accessible tool which gets you actively involved in improving your health and wellbeing and shows you how to do this any time, anywhere. It quite literally puts the power in your hands.
- What knitting has in common with the leading edge of neuroscience
- The secret power of your hand movements and their influence on your brain
- How knitting naturally brings about a state of mind that doctors the world over are eager to encourage
- How knitting can be used as a tool to help anyone, including those with complex health conditions
- How knitting helps to erase your social concerns to build strong support networks and communities
- How knitting can help you beat loneliness to feel belonged, enjoy fun and laughter and easy banter
- How Therapeutic Knitting can kick start a healing process.
Learn how to ?
- Knit therapeutically
- Choose the needles and yarn to maximise the benefits to you
- Recognise the power and value of different types of project and when to best use them
Betsan shares her knowledge of using Therapeutic Knitting clinically and integrates this with recent research, her medical knowledge, data from a survey of over 3,500 knitters from 31 countries, and numerous stories sent to her from knitters around the globe. Her writing style makes this an easy, enjoyable read whilst at the same time conveying valuable neuroscience, research and knowledge which will improve your life. Betsan is the recognised world expert on the use of Therapeutic Knitting for improving health, wellness and managing illness. She has pioneered this research since 2005.